In Chicks Dig Time Lords, a host of award-winning female novelists, academics and actresses come together to celebrate the phenomenon that is “Doctor Who,” discuss their inventive involvement with the show’s fandom and examine why they adore the series.
These essays will delight male and female readers alike by delving into the extraordinary aspects of being a female “Doctor Who” enthusiast. Essays include Carole Barrowman discussing what it was like to grow up with her brother John (including the fact that he’s still afraid of shop-window dummies), columnist Jackie Jenkins providing a Bridget Jones’ Diary-style memoir of working on “Doctor Who Magazine,” novelist Lloyd Rose analyzing Rose’s changes between the ninth and tenth Doctors and much more.
Other contributors include Elizabeth Bear (“Jenny Casey”), Lisa Bowerman (“Bernice Summerfield”), Mary Robinette Kowal (Shades of Milk and Honey), Jody Lynn Nye (“Mythology” series), Kate Orman (Seeing I), and Catherynne M. Valente (The Orphan’s Tales).
Also featured is a comic from the “Torchwood Babiez” creators, plus interviews with “Doctor Who” companions India Fisher (Charley) and Sophie Aldred (Ace).
NOTE: This book is not for sale individually on the Mad Norwegian website, but is available as part of a Geek Girls box set here.
Full list of essays included in this book:
- We’ll Make Great Pets, by Elizabeth Bear
- Time is Relative, by Carole E. Barrowman
- Being Jackie Jenkins: Memoirs from A Parallel Universe, by Jackie Jenkins
- My Fandom Regenerates, by Deborah Stanish
- Adventures in Ocean-Crossing, Margin-Skating and Feminist-Engagement with Doctor Who, by Helen Kang
- What’s a Girl To Do?, by Lloyd Rose
- An Interview With India Fisher
- Costuming: More Productive Than Drugs, But Just as Expensive, by Johanna Mead.
- Girl Genius: Nyssa of Traken, by Francesca Coppa
- An Interview With Sophie Aldred
- Rutle-ing the Doctor: My Long Life in Doctor Who Fandom, by Jennifer Adams
- Marrying Into the TARDIS Tribe, by Lynne M. Thomas
- Torchwood Babiez in “Behind the Scenes,” by Tammy Garrison & Katy Shuttleworth
- The Digging Chick, by Lisa Bowerman
- The Tea Lady, by Tara O’Shea.
- Hopelessly Devoted to Who, by Jody Lynn Nye
- Two Generations of Fangirls in America, by Amy Fritsch
- Mathematical Excellence: A Documentary, by Seanan McGuire
- The Fanzine Factor, by Kathryn Sullivan
- An Interview With Laura Doddington
- Renaissance of the Fandom, by Liz Myles
- If I Can’t Squee, I Don’t Want to be Part of Your Revolution: Crone-ology of an
Ageing Fangirl, by Kate Orman
- Two Steps Forward, One Step Back: Have We Really Come That Far? by Shoshana
Magnet & Robert Smith?
- Traveling with the Doctor, by Mary Robinette Kowal
- Martha Jones: Fangirl Blues, by K. Tempest Bradford
- In Defense of Smut, by Christa Dickson
- Regeneration X, by Catherynne M. Valente